Rasuwa Reminders: The Works

It was my first professional job, a fresh graduate, and to be honest, I was not that good at my work. The sad truth is that the education we get here doesn't make us fully prepared in the practical field when the college is over. The certificate helps, so does the theoretical knowledge; but the most essential of all is the adequate practical knowledge that is always lacking in our educational system. On the other hand, this also depends on the students themselves. This is whole another topic to talk about. Not today.

I did many mistakes. I got scolded by the seniors. I learned. There were fellow colleagues and few seniors those were helpful. I had quite an experience. Less sweet and more sour.

I don't know if it adds to my nature or counts as my weakness on the work front or something else, I was always more interested in the stuff like nature, people, their stories, etc than the usual job-stuffs. If only that could actually pay me.... Ha-ha.. No worries, though.

Thank goodness, I had to capture the on-going works daily, I was happy for that at least. I could click anything that interests me. I could figure out the meaning in the very random normal pictures. When I remember those days now, I practically think less about the works but those photos help to freshen up the memories of those  pretty hard days.

Such as these:
Quite a sight at a work-site

The Giant in the Hills: Excavator

Just after the blasting is done

The Landslides

As if the tough terrain and tougher work were not enough for the people working there, we had to continue the work even in the rainy season. And that was really very hard because in that season, the dear rocks would frequently free-fall from above the hills and we had to paly the 'don't touch me please' game. I remember that we have literally run as fast as we can so as to not get hit by the falling rocks.

Blocked!


Every time there was rain, there would be landslides at different places. Works affected. And the first task of the day used to be the clearance of road.

And sometimes, it would take all day. 


There were accidents, obviously. I have seen a man fall off the cliff right in front of me. It frightened me like hell but I was pretty shocked that people took it easy and did not want to stop the work for even a day. Luckily, that man was saved as he got stuck in a half-broken tree and was rescued.

Our supervisor got into a big accident when the falling stone pushed him away and down the road-edge into the bulk of pointy pieces of blasted rocks. He was alive, luckily but had to undergo an operation. Not all are lucky, though; one of the workers died falling off from a hill, again by the pushing force of falling stone. There were safety belts, ropes, safety meetings but the accidents kept happening anyway.

The primary thing in my head those days was how to get rid of that job, that place. But I don't know exactly what kept me continuing. The money? Or, the feeding of the head into the heart that - face the risks and you shall be stronger? Haha... But when I think of it today, I feel I did the right thing because every experience matters.

That's me! Afraid that the stones could fall and score my head but still, one photo, please. 


The Brave Workers

Are they afraid too? No, I guess. They are Brave.
Looking at those brave workers, the problems I had to face were nothing. I had the privilege of safe shelter and good foods at least. I did not have to climb up all those cliffs and work there in a risk. It is true that no matter of which level, we all have pressures while we work, some of it are mental and some physical. It is also true that these workers, relatively with low income, are the ones that undergo the most physical pressure and they are the same, who have to settle for the relatively low quality of life. Well, the system works this way, globally.

We can but thank them and consider their contribution as well. If not (also) for these hard-working people in a team, how would any development succeed?

The drilling work going on
That was one of the biggest and hard cliff to cut down

Some More:
The Drum Bridge - temporary access to get across the Trishuli, designed by the Korean construction manager.
But the flood in Trishuli flipped it aside the next morning it was built. He built it again at another place and that was a success.

Let me show off a little.
I went down a bit with the safety ropes on. I was working. :)

The Lunch Break :')
Best time of a day.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 things you might face if you are a Nepali born in Kartik

Rasuwa Reminders: The Shades of Nature